Here’s a quick-start guide to the when and where for each day of the spring session of Field Work. Scroll past the table for more detailed session descriptions.
Prefer a calendar-style graphic for quick reference? You can download it here.
All times are Eastern time zone.
|DAY & DATE||LIVE SESSIONS (Zoom)||PRE-RECORDED VIDEO DROPS (YouTube)|
|Live sessions happen only once, and are not always recorded for later viewing||Pre-recorded sessions drop at the listed date & time, and are viewable until May 30.|
|Fri April 23||• 9a: Orientation video|
|Sat April 24||• 11a: Forging an anti-racist theatre with Dawn Meredith Simmons and Tonasia Jones|
2p: Nuts and bolts of artist residencies with Michael Colford (BPL), Micah Rosegrant, & John J King
•7p: Creative Reflection workshop with Todd London
|Sun April 25||• 11a: Civic engagement with Audrey Seraphin / SPARK Boston|
• 2p: Self Care = Self Love (part 2) with Yura Sapi
|Mon April 26||• 12-1p: Lunchtime Zoom Room with C1 dramaturgs: community partnerships for individual artists||• 9am: Nuts and Bolts for current and aspiring teaching artists, with Nicole Olusanya, Mark VanDerzee, and the C1 teaching artists James Milord, Lydia Jane Graeff, Shanelle Villegas, Vincent Siders, and Paloma Valenzuela|
|Tues April 27||• 12-1p: Lunchtime Zoom Room with C1 dramaturgs: theatre and education||• 9am: Individual artists: budgeting from your values. With Karthik Subramanian and Sarah Shampnois|
|Weds April 28||• 12-1p: Lunchtime Zoom Room with C1 dramaturgs: budgeting, grant writing, and funding|
• 7p: Transformative Practice, with Daniel Alexander Jones and Kirsten Greenidge.
|Thurs April 29||• 12-1p: Lunchtime Zoom Room with C1: dramaturgy and new work||• 9am: Resources for artists at the Boston Public Library. With Kristin Parker (BPL)|
|Fri April 30||• 12-1p: Lunchtime Zoom Room with C1: directing and new work||• 9am: Telling Your Story: marketing is more than selling. With Oompa and Tyler Prendergast|
|Sat May 1||• 11a: Inclusive character building and casting processes, with Kim Heil, M. Sloth Levine, & Joshua Glenn-Kayden |
2p: Creative practice in and with digital communities, with Lauren Gunderson, Ngoc-Tran Vu, & Jasmine Brooks
•7p: Diana Oh‘s Dope North Star creative visioning workshop
|• 9am: Directing Roundtable with Eric Ting, Megan Sandberg-Zakian, Summer L. Williams, and Shawn LaCount|
Friday, April 23, 2021
• 9a: video drop — Orientation
>> Get the logistical nuts and bolts, and tips on how to make the most of the program
Saturday, April 24 2021
• 11a: live session — The Work of the Individual in Forging an Anti-Racist Theatre Landscape with Dawn Meredith Simmons & Tonasia Jones
>> A deep dive with Boston-area artivists who are working towards an anti-racist city, both as individual artists, and as organizational leaders. They’ll share the successes and challenges of this work, as well as strategies for independent artists to make real change in their communities.
• 2p: live session — Nuts and Bolts of Artist Residencies with Michael Colford (BPL), Micah Rosegrant, John J King, and Jessie Baxter
>> How can individual artists find — or create! — opportunities to partner with community organizations? This panel of independent artists will share their successful strategies, and we’ll hear from the Boston Public Library about how to approach similar orgs in your own communities.
• 7p: live session — Creative Reflection Workshop with Todd London
>> Engage the body, mind, and spirit in a workshop designed to ground you, then launch your creative thinking.
Sunday, April 25, 2021
• 11a: live session — Civic Engagement for Individual Artists with Audrey Seraphin of SPARK Boston
>> An interactive session from SPARK Boston on finding your own sense of empowerment towards civic engagement, even when we feel overwhelmed.
• 2p: live session — Self Care = Self Love with Yura Sapi
>> Viviana’s mission is to “create liberated spaces that uplift, heal, and encourage us to explore our vast potential to change the world.” Viviana joined Field Work last fall for part one of this workshop. In this session, part two, attendees will be led in a creative workshop that looks forward into the future. (You do not need to have attended part one of the workshop.)
Monday, April 26 2021
• 9am: video drop — Nuts and Bolts for Current and Aspiring Teaching Artists with Nicole Olusanya, Mark VanDerzee, and C1 Teaching Artists James Milord, Lydia Jane Graeff, Shanelle Villegas, Vincent Siders, and Paloma Valenzuela
>> So many independent artists include teaching in their portfolio career path. What are some strategies for success for current teaching artists? How can aspiring teaching artists navigate that freelance life?
• 12-1p: live session — Lunchtime Zoom Room: community partnerships for individual artists
>> Join C1 staff to continue the conversation from Saturday’s session on creating and navigating artistic partnerships
Tuesday, April 27 2021
• 9am: video drop — Budgeting From Your Values with Karthik Subramanian, Sarah Shampnois, and Jessie Baxter
>> A nuts-and-bolts conversation for individual artists on how to use budgeting processes to define and refine one’s core social and creative values.
• 12-1p: live session — Lunchtime Zoom Room: theatre and education
>> Join C1 staff to continue the conversation from Monday’s video drop about theatre and education.
Wednesday, April 28, 2021
• 12-1p: live session — Lunchtime Zoom Room: budgeting, grant writing, and funding
>> Join C1 staff to continue the conversation from Tuesday’s video drop about budgets. Get your questions answered, and hear more about creative paths towards fundraising.
•7-9p: live session — Transformative Practice: a Conversation & Workshop with Daniel Alexander Jones and Kirsten Greenidge
>> A live keynote conversation and workshop about building work outside the expected, and how we might create more expansive artistic practices by leaving prescriptive forces behind.
Thursday, April 29, 2021
• 9am: video drop — Resources for Artists at the Boston Public Library with Kristin Parker, Lead Curator and Manager of the Arts (BPL)
>> Ever wonder how a research librarian might help your creative process? Or what kinds of materials in the Special Collections might be available to you? The BPL will reveal some hidden gems that are of particular interest for individual artists..
• 12-1p: live session — Lunchtime Zoom Room: dramaturgy and new work
>> Join C1 staff to continue the conversation from Wednesday evening’s session on expansive dramaturgical practice.
Friday, April 30, 2021
• 9am: video drop — Telling Your Story (Marketing is More Than Selling), with Oompa and Tyler Prendergast.
>> Social media algorithms seem to change at the speed of light, so how do you get people to engage with the work you’re making? Learn about the power of narrative, and finding your audience.
• 12-1p: live session — Lunchtime Zoom Room: directing and new work
>> Join C1 staff for a discussion about directing from a set of personal values in advance of tomorrow’s video drop.
Saturday, May 1, 2021
• 9am: video drop — Directing Roundtable with Eric Ting, Summer L. Williams, Megan Sandberg-Zakian, and Shawn LaCount
>> A dynamic roundtable with award-winning, innovative directors, talking about how to navigate the challenges of the field while staying true to one’s personal mission/vision/values.
• 11am: live session — Inclusive Character Building & Casting Processes, with Kim Heil (San Diego Rep), M. Sloth Levine, and Josh Glenn-Kayden.
>> You want your work to reflect the richness and variety of the world at large, but can you write/create truthfully from beyond your own experience? And once the work is ready to be brought to life, how can you create authentically inclusive and representative processes?
• 2p: live session — Creative Practice In and With Digital Communities, with Lauren Gunderson, Ngoc-Tran Vu, Jasmine Brooks, & Alison Qu
>> C1’s in-house producer of our Better Future digital series leads a working conversation about how individual artists can build and sustain community in this pandemic Zoom world.
• 7p: live session — Closing Event: Diana Oh‘s Dope North Star Workshop
>> Performance Artist Diana Oh returns to Field Work to lead a version of her lauded creative workshop, helping participants find, name, claim, and honor their Dope North Star. What is your true calling, your purpose, your dharma, your authentic expression of self? Live an energized life of activation and fulfilled potential as an artist, leader, and pleasure-rooted human being!